Saturday, February 22, 2014

Giving Credit to FFA

This week, people all over The United States of America have celebrated National FFA Week.  FFA is a national leadership organization for students enrolled in middle and high school agricultural education courses.  I was a proud member of the FFA from 2003 to 2011.  I took full advantage of every opportunity I could find in this organization and the FFA has made a huge impact on my life.

I give the FFA credit for…….

·        Teaching me that public service is not an event but a way of life.  From selling tickets for the Newport Pig Cookin’ Contest (the world’s largest whole-hog pig cooking contest) that raises money for local organizations to gleaning sweet potatoes at a factory in Maryland with the National FFA Organization, I learned that service to others is an important value that all leaders must possess.

Gleaning sweet potatoes at Washington Leadership Conference in 2007.

·         Teaching me that success doesn’t come by accident but is a direct result of preparation and hard work.  While in the FFA, I had many early mornings in the agriculture shop and many late nights preparing for contests and events.  When we achieved success, I attributed it to the work of our members and advisors.  

One of many teacher appreciation breakfasts during National FFA Week.

·         Teaching me that there is no “I” in TEAM.  As the saying goes, “Together Everyone Achieves More!”  I had excellent opportunities to work with fellow students in my local schools and from all over the nation.

One awesome West Carteret FFA officer team in 2008-2009.

·         Teaching me the importance of agriculture.  Agriculture isn’t just about farming.  Agriculture today involves technology, science, sales, entrepreneurship, and more.  By 2050, the world’s population is expected to grow to 9 billion people.  Today, there is less land for agricultural production.  It is going to take people from all areas of science and agriculture to meet the food demands of this growing world. 


·         Teaching me the value of education.  My experiences in the FFA ignited my passion for agriculture and service.  The FFA inspired me to go to NC State University to continue my studies in agricultural education and now a masters in public administration.  I believe that I can make a positive difference in the lives of others and education is helping me do that.

Graduation Day at NC State University in 2013.

·         Showing me that opportunity awaits those who are looking for it.  Opportunities to be a leader, to serve others, and to learn, are available.  Those that are looking for these opportunities will be the ones that reap the rewards. 

2008-2009 Southeastern NC Regional FFA Officer Team

There are currently over 570,000 members in the FFA.  I am confident in the future of our nation with these students and FFA alumni leading the way.  If you have children that have an opportunity to join the FFA in their local school, encourage them to be a part of this great organization.  There are also many opportunities for parents and alumni to engage with and support the FFA.  From joining your local FFA Alumni affiliate to donating money to the National and North Carolina FFA Foundations, you can help make opportunities possible for students in the FFA.  Quoting from the last paragraph of the FFA Creed, “I believe that American agriculture can and will hold true to the best traditions of our national life and that I can exert an influence in my home and community which will stand solid for my part in that inspiring task.”    Happy FFA Week!

2007-2008 Southeastern NC Regional FFA Officer Team at the North Carolina FFA Center at White Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment